University of Nairobi students left stranded as hostel burns down

people, emotions, stress and health care concept - unhappy african american young woman touching her head and suffering from headache

Over 132 University of Nairobi students are counting losses after a fire burnt down all their belongings.

This was after their wooden hostel named Soweto caught fire attributed to an electric fault.
According to University of Nairobi Student Association chairperson Anthony Manyara, all the Upper Kabete campus students were safely evacuated without any injuries.

Manyara has called on the government to include the university in its ambitious housing programme under the Big Four initiative, saying most of the accommodation buildings in the campus can only qualify for historical sites. “We have a serious housing problem in all the universities and more so here,” Manyara told Capital FM News.

The university has confirmed that will be looking for alternative accommodation for the affected students.

This article was written by Joseph Muraya, for Capital News.

Capital Campus :Get all the info you need about campuses and colleges in Kenya and beyond. Jobs, internships, college sports, career advice, student politics and leadership, finances and much more