University of Nairobi students left stranded as hostel burns down

Shares

Over 132 University of Nairobi students are counting losses after a fire burnt down all their belongings.

This was after their wooden hostel named Soweto caught fire attributed to an electric fault.
According to University of Nairobi Student Association chairperson Anthony Manyara, all the Upper Kabete campus students were safely evacuated without any injuries.

Manyara has called on the government to include the university in its ambitious housing programme under the Big Four initiative, saying most of the accommodation buildings in the campus can only qualify for historical sites. “We have a serious housing problem in all the universities and more so here,” Manyara told Capital FM News.

The university has confirmed that will be looking for alternative accommodation for the affected students.

 

This article was written by Joseph Muraya, for Capital News.

Shares

0 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*