Makerere University has been ranked the best University in Sub-Saharan Africa, excluding South Africa, by Africa.com. The latest ratings are based on qualitative and quantitative data gathered from different parameters including student entrance selection, quality of research and faculty, number of international students among other factors.
In the first ranking for Sub-Sahara Africa, University of Ghana is ranked ahead of The University of Nairobi while University of Dar Es Salaam is 7th in the ranking.
Africa.com has been ranking universities in Africa but this time around decided to exclude South Africa and Egypt, who have dominated the list in the past years. However, South African universities were ranked on their own.
An earlier global ranking by Webometrics placed The University of Nairobi as the best Uni in the region and ninth in Africa based on web presence.
The following are top ten Universities in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Makerere University, Uganda;
- University of Ghana, Ghana;
- University of Nairobi, Kenya;
- University of Ibadan, Nigeria;
- University of Botswana, Botswana;
- University of Lagos, Nigeria;
- University of Dar Es Salaam; Tanzania;
- Ashesi University College, Ghana;
- Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
- University of Dakar, Senegal