Dear first year campus girl,
It’s an exciting day the first time you go to campus. You’re done with the strictness of high school. There is no one to monitor you, to tell you what to do. You are looking forward to freedom especially if you will be a boarder and you will be able to get away from your parents and you can go for all those happening parties you have heard about. Let me give you a few words of advice as a big sister would do.
• You think your mum is very old fashioned and she is. She is always asking you where you’re going when you leave the house, who your friends are and five other million questions. Sometimes it feels like she is the CID and you are a suspect in a case where you have no idea what your being charged with. You are thinking I am going to campus and I will be done with the questions. Yes, she is old fashioned. But she has two things that are an advantage for her. They say there is nothing new under the sun. She was young once. All the stuff you’re going through she went through. So she has experience of the world and a love for you that’s so amazing she doesn’t want you to end up bitter about your life choices. You will hate her, argue that she is very old fashioned, but believe me when your older you will realize that your mum is always right. So listen to her.
• Choose your friends wisely. Not every person who says they are your friend is genuine, male, or female. There are women who will lead you astray because they are getting something from a guy who wants you or just for the sake of it. So don’t think its only guys you have to watch out for. Some friendships have ended up with girls ending up dead so don’t take this advice lightly.
• Many girls are going out with rich men on and off campus in order to live the good life. You want pocket money, great clothes and everything a girl would want. Don’t sell yourself short. You are better than that. Work hard and get your own stuff. Is it really worth it to sell your soul for a few thousand shillings? No its not.
• Do not be tempted to sleep with your lecturer for a good grade. It is wrong, end of story. Even if you don’t care others do and they will lose respect for you because believe me they will know.
• Then there are those rich and married men again who want a girl for a mistress. They want sex and fun. And you get money and stuff in the bargain. Ask yourself this question. Do I want to get married one day? This man is married to a woman like me. Do I want to be played the way this guy wants to play his wife? If you do decide to do it, remember Karma is a Bitch and she has teeth. When someone later on does that to you, you have no right to complain. What goes around comes around.