Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

COURTESY

Kenya

Most Kenyan MSMEs Operating Within ICT, Agricultural Sectors – Report

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 29 – ICT and Agriculture are the leading host sectors for Micro, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (MSMEs) in Kenya, the 2021 MSMEs Survey Report shows.

The report also ranks manufacturing and construction among the dominant hubs for the enterprises that collectively create an estimated 15 million employment opportunities in the economy.

The study, conducted by the KBA Centre for Research on Financial Markets and Policy incollaboration with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) in May this year, further indicates over 90 percent of the 279 MSMEs sample analyzed were registered, signaling a high level of formalization.

Meanwhile, over a half of the businesses were fully incorporated, with 35 percent of them running as sole proprietorships.

‘’Most of the enterprises (80 percent) operate a bank account in their business name, while the rest (20 percent) use personal accounts,’’ the survey indicates,’’ highlighting a narrow distinction between borrowing for business and personal needs.

The report also indicates that 54 percent of the enterprises seek personal loans while 46 percent obtain credit for business support.

The survey comes amid efforts to support MSMEs in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. ‘’At a time when economies worldwide and more so our domestic economy continue to be characterized by fragility and substantial slack due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its containment measures, any conversation on economic recovery in a sustainable way must be centered on strengthening the MSMEs sector, ‘’ said KBA Chief Executive Officer Dr. Habil Olaka.

‘’Cognizant of the fact that a strong and sustainable economic recovery in Kenya will be underpinned by a vibrant MSMEs sector, the need to characterize the environment MSMEs operate in would be important to facilitate appropriate interventions, including enhancing credit to MSMEs,’’he added.

JICA Kenya Chief Programs Officer, Anne Olubendi highlighted the need to support MSMEs.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

‘’MSMEs are more generally seen as accelerating the achievement of wider socio-economic objectives, including poverty alleviation. Their ability to grow highly depends on their potential to
restructure and innovate. All these investments need capital and hence access to finance,’’ she said.

Access to MSME start-up capital remains limited as only 22 percent of the enterprises reviewed reporting having applied for start-up loans, out of which only 9 percent was from banks; own savings (64 percent) and non-loan support from family and friends (12 percent).

While 83 percent of the MSMEs reported having had their loan applications approved within three months, 49 percent said their borrowing from the different credit providers required collateral.

‘’In terms on employment patterns that define the size of the enterprise, most of the businesses surveyed are micro, with 85 and 87 percent having less than ten full-time and part-time employees,
respectively,’’ said KBA Research and Policy Director Dr. Samuel Tiriongo.

He added: ‘’Only 9 percent of the enterprises are small (10-49 full-time employees), and 6.4 percent are medium-sized (50-99 full-time employees).’’

On utilization of both formal and informal financial instruments, most of the enterprises have or have previously operated a savings account, with only 29 percent not having had a savings
account before.

1 Comment
Advertisement

More on Capital Business

Executive Lifestyle

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 12 – The country’s super wealthy individuals are increasing their holding of bonds, gold and cash, a new report by Knight...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 9 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi has urged members of the public to exercise extreme caution when making any...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 24 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi is set to own half of Centum Investment Company PLC, following a go-ahead...

Ask Kirubi

It is without a doubt that the COVID-19 pandemic has caught the whole world by surprise. Although its full impact is yet to be...

Kenya

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun17 – Kenya’s tea leaves manufacturer Kericho Gold, has been awarded the Superbrands Seal by Superbrands East Africa for their quality variety...

Headlines

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 18 – Commercial Banks have been ordered to provide relief to borrowers on their personal loans, with loans eligible from March...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 13 – As the local telecommunications industry gears up to roll out 5G networks in the country, the Communications Authority of...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 22 – Airtel Kenya is offering free internet access for students in order to enable continued learning at home in the...