Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Capital Business
Capital Business

Kenya

Transport Ministry says SGR safe despite section damage

The first phase of SGR is expected to be completed by the end of the year with the first train to use the railway on June 1, 2017.

NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 22 – Kenya’s Transport Ministry has attributed the damage of a section of the Standard Gauge Railway in Kambu area Makueni County to heavy rains and the temporary structures supporting the on-going works. 

Principal Secretary Irungu Nyakera, says on the night of November 18, 2016, as a result of the flood flow the culverts of the service road was blocked by sand boulders and debris gathered from the channelled water along the Mombasa-Nairobi highway.

Nyakera says the water in the channel formed a big dam upstream washing away the service road embankment.

He says the contractor has maintained the temporary service road as works are still ongoing and assured that the structure of the underpass and the Standard Gauge railway line remains intact.

“The SGR contractor, China Roads and Bridges Corporation together with the project supervisory team have been on ground since the incident to ensure a timely restoration of the project is done,” he explained.

The principal secretary added the government is committed to ensuring a successful and seamless implementation of the Standard Gauge Railway.

“We take cognizance of the fact that the projects expectations are high and thus critical that the public be guaranteed that the project is being implemented professionally keeping to stipulated standards required,” he added.

The first phase of SGR is expected to be completed by the end of 2016 with the first train to use the line on June 1, 2017.

The Mombasa-Nairobi phase of the project is estimated to cost Sh327 billion ($3.8 billion). China Exim Bank has provided 90 percent of the financing while the remaining 10 percent is by the government.

The project is part of the promises made by the Jubilee government when they took power in 2013.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

In March 2016, Kenya and the China Communications Construction Company (CCCC) signed an agreement for the construction of the Naivasha-Malaba Standard Gauge Railway line under the Kenya SGR Developments Project valued at Sh549 billion.

The move came after the Cabinet approved signing of the commercial contracts between Kenya Railways and China Communications Construction Company.

The four commercial contracts for the development of the four elements of the project include Naivasha- Kisumu, Kisumu-Malaba, Kisumu Port Development and Modernization and expansion of the Inland Container Depot at Embakasi in Nairobi.

The government has secured a loan from the Government of the Peoples Republic of China to support the development of Phase 2A, (Nairobi to Naivasha).

The total contract price for this section is US$ 1.5 billion (Sh150billion).

Kenya is constructing a Standard Gauge Railway between Mombasa and Malaba as part of the East African Community protocol for the development of an SGR connecting the port of Mombasa to Kampala, Kigali and Juba.

The entire network is supposed to be in operation by December 2018 and member states are working towards meeting the timelines of the directive.

Statistic indicates that China and Africa have signed over 243 cooperation agreement valued at $ 50.7 billion.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Click to comment
Advertisement

More on Capital Business

Executive Lifestyle

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 12 – The country’s super wealthy individuals are increasing their holding of bonds, gold and cash, a new report by Knight...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 9 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi has urged members of the public to exercise extreme caution when making any...

Headlines

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 18 – Commercial Banks have been ordered to provide relief to borrowers on their personal loans, with loans eligible from March...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 24 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi is set to own half of Centum Investment Company PLC, following a go-ahead...

Kenya

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun17 – Kenya’s tea leaves manufacturer Kericho Gold, has been awarded the Superbrands Seal by Superbrands East Africa for their quality variety...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 22 – Airtel Kenya is offering free internet access for students in order to enable continued learning at home in the...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 13 – As the local telecommunications industry gears up to roll out 5G networks in the country, the Communications Authority of...

Headlines

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 16 – The World Bank has given the Kenyan government USD 60 Million (Sh6.1 billion) to help combat the deadly coronavirus pandemic...