Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Capital Business
Capital Business
Internet mogul Kim Dotcom's extradition appeal is set to begin in the High Court in Auckland on August 29/AFP-File

Enterprise

Kim Dotcom to revive Megaupload

Internet mogul Kim Dotcom's extradition appeal is set to begin in the High Court in Auckland on August 29/AFP-File

Internet mogul Kim Dotcom’s extradition appeal is set to begin in the High Court in Auckland on August 29/AFP-File

WELLINGTON, New Zealand, Jul 12 – Internet mogul Kim Dotcom has announced plans to relaunch his Megaupload empire in 2017, exactly five years after US authorities shut it down over allegations of massive copyright piracy.

The file-sharing service was once the 13th most visited site on the internet, a New Zealand court heard last year, with 50 million daily users accounting for four percent of global web traffic.

But it all came crashing down in January 2012, when the FBI shut down Megaupload’s servers and New Zealand police raided Dotcom’s Auckland mansion.

The legal fallout from the raid is ongoing, with Dotcom fighting extradition to the United States on charges that could see him and three other Megaupload founders jailed for up to 20 years.

The FBI alleges Megaupload netted more than US$175 million in criminal proceeds and cost copyright owners US$500 million-plus by offering pirated content.

Dotcom denies any wrongdoing and will next month appeal an Auckland court’s December 2015 ruling allowing his extradition.

The German national said on Twitter that he was determined not to let the legal case stop him reviving Megaupload and restoring his fortune.

“Megaupload comes back on January 20th 2017, the 5th anniversary of the raid. It will be better than the original and it will feel like home,” Dotcom tweeted on Sunday.

He later added: “I’ll be the first tech billionaire who got indicted, lost everything and created another billion $ tech company while on bail.”

Megaupload was a pioneer in cloud storage but there are now many similar services, including Dropbox, Google Drive and iCloud.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Dotcom said about 100 million users of the old Megaupload would be given premium accounts on the new site, giving it critical mass from day one.

He has already launched another cloud storage service called Mega in 2013, but later distanced himself from it, saying it had been the subject of a hostile takeover.

His extradition appeal is set to begin in the High Court in Auckland on August 29 and is expected to last four to eight weeks.

Click to comment
Advertisement

More on Capital Business

Executive Lifestyle

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 12 – The country’s super wealthy individuals are increasing their holding of bonds, gold and cash, a new report by Knight...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 9 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi has urged members of the public to exercise extreme caution when making any...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 24 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi is set to own half of Centum Investment Company PLC, following a go-ahead...

Ask Kirubi

It is without a doubt that the COVID-19 pandemic has caught the whole world by surprise. Although its full impact is yet to be...

Headlines

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 18 – Commercial Banks have been ordered to provide relief to borrowers on their personal loans, with loans eligible from March...

Kenya

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun17 – Kenya’s tea leaves manufacturer Kericho Gold, has been awarded the Superbrands Seal by Superbrands East Africa for their quality variety...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 13 – As the local telecommunications industry gears up to roll out 5G networks in the country, the Communications Authority of...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 22 – Airtel Kenya is offering free internet access for students in order to enable continued learning at home in the...