, I never tire from speaking to young people and mentoring them as they embark on their journey to success. As a matter of fact, it has become part of my job description. I want all my followers and friends to become the best they can be and to do their best to attain success.
I hope these few tips will help you unlock your potential. All the best!
- Believe in yourself. I am a firm believer that self-belief takes you places and makes you seek opportunities you never thought you would. You must have a ‘you can do it’ mentality because no one will ever do it for you. Remember as you work, you are either working towards achieving your dream or helping someone achieve their dream. Create a balance and let your efforts earn you success.
- Define success. What does success mean to you? Does it mean scoring an A, getting an MBA, being financially stable, establishing a family, owning a home etc. Success depends on your own ability and determination to work hard. Define your success and work towards achieving it.
- Set realistic goals. Most of us get excited and set ‘big unrealistic’ goals forgetting that we need to make sure they are realistic and attainable. Start small as you look to setting and achieving bigger goals. No goal or milestone is too small or insignificant.
- Additionally, learn to set short-term, mid-term and long-term goals. I always tell my employees that setting ‘smaller’ short-term goals will help you achieve the greater goals because they help you track the progress towards achieving your overall goal(s).
- Seize opportunities. Make the best of your environment and create a livelihood for yourself.
- Have the right attitude. Thomas Jefferson once said that nothing can stop a man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal, while nothing on earth can help a man with the wrong attitude. Your attitude will determine the amount of effort you will put in achieving success. It will also help you carry out your role effectively and to do more than you have been assigned. Your attitude is what will guide you when times get tough and when failure occurs.
- Go the extra mile. The difference between being ordinary and being extraordinary is that extra effort. Learn to do more than is expected or have been assigned.
- Don’t be shy to ask for help. Two heads are better than one and your weakness is someone else’s point of strength. Help one another and learn to swallow your pride and ask where you need help.
- Surround yourself with the best. Have friends who will help you succeed and influence you positively. Don’t waste your life and opportunities given with people who are going nowhere.
- Focus on the future. Don’t be mesmerized or discouraged by the life you live or once lived. Use it instead to work hard because if you don’t build a solid life today, you won’t find it in the future.
- Build your character. Be the person people can admire and believe in. The ‘good life’ belongs to those who make the decision to craft and direct their own life. Command your space and gain respect for being who you are and doing what you do.
- Look out for challenges. Don’t be so comfortable that sometimes your ambition to do better diminishes. Challenges will help you get out of your comfort zone and enable you to be creative. Get out and challenge your mind. It is the only way you will grow.
Taking calculated risks also falls under this category. Just be wise about every move you make.