, We boast over 15 years of experience in the horticulture sector and have found our niche in the production, sourcing and supplying of, as well as trading in, country fresh fruits and vegetables; we provide an integrated supply chain from the grower source to various market segments and customers globally.
We have recently injected a significant amount of private equity capital which will see us realize our very ambitious growth plan in the next couple of years, indeed, moving some of our operations from our current base upcountry to Nairobi.
You will be responsible for the development and implementation of best practice agronomy practices on our farms and/or contract farms that ensure that our products meet our client’s requirements/standards.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Mobilize, recruit, organize and manage potential farmers and farmer group activities
- Implementing area production plan and ensuring that harvest projections are effectively communicated to the relevant departments
- Training and supervising farmers, area technical assistants and clerks on good crop husbandry
- Carrying out demos and trials that facilitate standards setting and support farmer education on the best cost effective and technical method available for increasing crop production
- Inspecting the weeds and pests on crops, inventing newer methods of pest and weed control and/or recommending usage of appropriate pest control and fertilizers for the farmers
- Visiting fields regularly to monitor crop growth, yield and quality against set standards and targets, taking corrective action as necessary
- Reporting agronomical issues to the Production Manager
- Organizing loan request and advances for farmers
- Bachelors Degree in Agronomy relevant field
- Minimum of 3 years in a horticulture farm with growing responsibilities
- A solid understanding of the challenges of working with contract farmers
- Experience of managing field based staff
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and with minimum supervision
How to apply:
Your application should include a cover letter demonstrating why you are the most suited candidate for this role; a detailed CV highlighting relevant experience, details of current and expected salary, a daytime phone contact, email address, and the names of three professional referees to:
P O Box 6416, Nairobi, GPO 00100
Closing Date: Monday 16thMarch2015
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that we do not charge fees for receiving or processing job applications. Visit our website for more vacancies.