NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 8 – The Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure is in three weeks time expected to kick off a Sh900 million road project to decongest Nairobi.
Infrastructure Principal Secretary John Mosonik said the tender had been awarded to five contractors who are expected to complete the project within eight months.
“The issue of decongestion in the city is something that has been a public outcry for quite some time now. So last week we awarded a tender of up to Sh900 million which is to start soon once we have officially signed the contracts,” he said.
The PS said the project will mainly focus on construction of decelerating and accelerating lanes in about 60 road junctions within Nairobi.
“This will actually ease traffic in Nairobi, so that instead of people blocking, say a roundabout, they can move faster. That is the immediate plan,” the PS said.
In the medium term, Mosonik says the ministry will be constructing a major overpass that will connect a section of Mombasa road ending at Museum Hill Interchange to reduce traffic, mainly caused by roundabouts on the highway.
Mosonik was speaking at his office on Thursday when he also announced the start of the tendering process for the first phase of 10,000 kilometre road construction across the country.
The first phase will include the construction of 2,000 kilometres of road expected to kick off by the end of February this year.
“Today we are receiving bids for the nine out if the forty five lots spread throughout the country . We expect to receive bids for the remaining 36 lots on February 6 and we shall soon launch the selection process for phase two,” he said.
The roads constituting the nine lots whose bids were received on Thursday, total approximately 720 kilometres.
The second phase will constitute of 3,000km while the third and final will be 5,000km.