, NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 2- The Tourism Recovery Taskforce says it will not tire in efforts of reviving the tourism sector and helping in marketing Kenya as the best tourist destination despite the ongoing insecurity challenges in the country.
Chairperson Lucy Karume says the team is working with all stakeholders in the tourism industry to develop strategies that will see Kenya’s tourism continue to thrive.
“The Tourism Recovery Taskforce, on behalf of the tourism industry, will continue to work with government to develop strategies to ensure the safety of Kenyans and their visitors,” Karume said.
She maintains that Kenya is still safe to visit adding that they will work with government security organs to ensure both local and international tourists are secured especially in the festive season.
“We would like to re-assure our international tourists that Kenya is safe to visit and the security organs are working round the clock to secure tourists and tourist facilities,” Karume reassured.
Her statement follows terrorist attacks in the last one month, the latest being early Tuesday’s morning where 36 Kenyans were killed at a quarry in Mandera County.
“We condemn the perpetuation of this barbaric act and are confident that the Kenyan security forces will deal decisively with the attackers,” Karume said.
“We express our heartfelt condolence to the families of the bereaved and pray that God will comfort them at this trying time.”
The Tourism Recovery Taskforce was formed in January this year by the East African Affairs, Commerce and Tourism Cabinet Secretary Phyllis Kandie to come up with strategies on the way forward for the industry, guided by the ministry’s strategic plan and tourism master plan.
Some of the team members include, Kenya Association of Hotel Keepers and Caterers Chairman Jaideep S. Vohra, Chairman of Kenya Association of Tour Operators Adam Jillo, Kenya Tourism Board Managing Director Muriithi Ndegwa, Chris Modigell of South Coast Stakeholders, Roberto Marini of Malindi Stakeholders and Philemon Mwavala who represents Watamu Stakeholders.
Others are Nairobi lawyers Donald Kipkorir and Cecil Miller for non-tourism stakeholders.
Since late last year insecurity has resulted in low occupancy statistics and a reduction in charter flights especially to Mombasa which is one of Kenya’s major tourist destinations.