Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Capital Business
Capital Business
Institutional investors offered to take up 90 percent of the issue/file

Kenya

NIC bond gets Sh6.5bn offers

Institutional investors offered to take up 90 percent of the issue/file

Institutional investors offered to take up 90 percent of the issue/file

NAIROBI, Kenya, Sept 5 – The NIC Bank bond issue targeting institutional and retail investors has received offers of Sh6.5 billion, representing a 30 percent oversubscription from the expected Sh5 billion.

Institutional investors offered to take up 90 percent of the issue, while retail investors accounted for the remaining 10 percent of the bond issue which was available from August 21 to September 3.

“The success of the bond is a vote of confidence on the Bank’s long-term growth strategy. The money raised is critical in strengthening our capital base so as to support growth in our loan book for both the SME and corporate segments,” NIC Bank CEO John Gachora said.

“This is a major milestone in support of our corporate strategy which calls for robust capital levels and a sustainable funding programme.”

The bond is the first issue under the Sh8 billion Medium Term Note Program that was recently approved by the Capital Markets Authority (CMA) and upsized to Sh5 billion from the original Sh3 billion.

The bond issue is part of a major capital-raising program initiated by NIC Bank as it seeks to grow its corporate client base as well as to enhance its branch channels to reach more Retail and SME customers across the region.

As part of this plan, NIC Bank also plans to raise Sh2 billion through a Rights Issue subject to getting CMA approval.

The bank will list the medium-term note at the Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE).

NIC Capital Limited, a subsidiary of NIC Bank Group, was the lead arranger for the transaction.

According to NIC Capital Managing Director Maurice Opiyo, the bond is an opportunity for investors to diversify their fixed income portfolios at a good return on investment.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“We saw a big appetite for the medium-term note with investors taking advantage of the opportunity. There is an increasing appetite and acceptance of corporate bonds as an alternative source of funding for Kenyan Companies,” Opiyo said.

Click to comment
Advertisement

More on Capital Business

Executive Lifestyle

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 12 – The country’s super wealthy individuals are increasing their holding of bonds, gold and cash, a new report by Knight...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 9 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi has urged members of the public to exercise extreme caution when making any...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 24 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi is set to own half of Centum Investment Company PLC, following a go-ahead...

Headlines

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 18 – Commercial Banks have been ordered to provide relief to borrowers on their personal loans, with loans eligible from March...

Kenya

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun17 – Kenya’s tea leaves manufacturer Kericho Gold, has been awarded the Superbrands Seal by Superbrands East Africa for their quality variety...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 22 – Airtel Kenya is offering free internet access for students in order to enable continued learning at home in the...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 13 – As the local telecommunications industry gears up to roll out 5G networks in the country, the Communications Authority of...

Ask Kirubi

It is without a doubt that the COVID-19 pandemic has caught the whole world by surprise. Although its full impact is yet to be...