Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Capital Business
Capital Business
The firm is targeting to raise a total of Sh8 billion in two bond issues/FILE

Kenya

Sh3.5bn Shelter Afrique bond oversubscribed

The firm is targeting to raise a total of Sh8 billion in two bond issues/FILE

The firm is targeting to raise a total of Sh8 billion in two bond issues/FILE

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 3 – Pan African housing and urban development financier Shelter Afrique has announced an oversubscription of its Sh3.5 billion first tranche bond up to Sh5billion.

The firm is targeting to raise a total of Sh8 billion in two bond issues.

The first tranche offered fixed and floating rate notes and saw institutional investors snapping 62percent of the notes while banks and retails; insurance companies received 26percent and 12percent respectively.

Shelter Afrique Managing Director Alassane Bâ said the oversubscription demonstrates a robust local investor appetite for bonds.

“This is the sixth time Shelter Afrique is tapping into the Kenya debt capital markets and the positive market reception to the bond offering is a clear indication of investor confidence,” Bâ said.

The floating rate notes comprised 15percent of the subscription translating to Sh760million with the remaining 85percent going to fixed rate note subscribers, approximately Sh4.23billion.

CfC Stanbic Bank Limited and SBG Securities Limited were the lead arrangers on the issue.

“The history in the bond market and the growing demand for housing in Kenya has made the company’s bond a compelling investment opportunity for both institutional and individual investors,” CfC Stanbic Bank’s Executive Head of Investment Banking, Anne Aliker noted.

Shelter Afrique plans to develop 10 residential projects with an estimated cost of Sh9billion from the proceeds of the bond notes issued.

“We shall be supporting low cost housing projects to cater for the demand for housing at the lower end of the pyramid. Already we are working with about 2,000 families through the Makau Mashinani project to help them improve their homes. With the Government of Kenya and UN HABITAT, we are about to launch in Mavoko a new scheme for 2,500 slum dwellers,” he added.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The notes are expected to start trading on the Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE) on October 18, 2013.

Click to comment
Advertisement

More on Capital Business

Executive Lifestyle

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 12 – The country’s super wealthy individuals are increasing their holding of bonds, gold and cash, a new report by Knight...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 9 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi has urged members of the public to exercise extreme caution when making any...

Ask Kirubi

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 24 – Businessman and industrialist Dr. Chris Kirubi is set to own half of Centum Investment Company PLC, following a go-ahead...

Headlines

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 18 – Commercial Banks have been ordered to provide relief to borrowers on their personal loans, with loans eligible from March...

Kenya

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun17 – Kenya’s tea leaves manufacturer Kericho Gold, has been awarded the Superbrands Seal by Superbrands East Africa for their quality variety...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 22 – Airtel Kenya is offering free internet access for students in order to enable continued learning at home in the...

Coronavirus

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 13 – As the local telecommunications industry gears up to roll out 5G networks in the country, the Communications Authority of...

Ask Kirubi

It is without a doubt that the COVID-19 pandemic has caught the whole world by surprise. Although its full impact is yet to be...