Speaking to Capital FM News, the director of petroleum at the ERC Linus Gitonga said they were able to find two sites which were operational and two others that had been closed earlier.
“We have launched these operations all over the country. This is also happening in Nakuru,” he said.
He said the commission will sustain such operations during the day and at night to curb the continued illegal trade of gas.
“The market has been marred with black-market activities like operating refilling plants without the right licenses, use of deceitful gas measurements, sale and use of substandard gas cylinders, dangerous transportation of the fuel among others,” he noted.
He said that tanks and equipment from these site will be decommissioned starting on Thursday.
During the (sting) exercise, operators and customers found were arrested and four vehicles impounded.
The operation which has been undergoing has seen six sites closed down within Nairobi.
Growth in demand for cooking gas over the years and an eroded spending power among Kenyans has also been cited as among factors fuelling growth of the illicit industry but Gitonga expressed optimism of bringing this to a halt.