China internet news blocked

July 23, 2009
Shares

, BEIJING, Jul 23 – China\’s Internet censors blocked news Thursday about a graft probe in Namibia involving a firm linked to the son of President Hu Jintao, as the state-run media ignored the sensitive issue.

Two Namibians and a Chinese national were arrested last week in Namibia as part of a probe into bribery allegations involving Nuctech, a company headed until last year by Hu\’s 38-year-old son, Hu Haifeng.

Searches for information on the case and Hu Haifeng\’s connection to it on Chinese Web portals turned up error messages such as: "The search results may contain content not in line with relevant laws, regulations and policies."

Such results on China\’s heavily-censored Internet are typically returned when a Web user seeks banned information.

China has a history of blocking access to sensitive data on the Internet, especially concerning politics and the lives of top leaders.

Popular sites such as Facebook, YouTube and Twitter have been blocked for weeks as censors sought to limit the information flow over deadly unrest in Xinjiang and the 20th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square crackdown.

The US-based China Digital Times, which monitors Web developments in China, said propaganda officials had issued an order banning various Internet searches related to the Nuctech case.

China Digital Times and media watchdog Reporters Without Borders said it appeared the Nuctech Internet censorship had been in place for a few days.

China\’s mainstream media is more tightly controlled by the government, and newspapers as well as television news have also made no mention of the Nuctech case in recent days.

Hu Haifeng was president of Nuctech, which provides scanning technology, until last year, when he was promoted to Communist Party secretary of Tsinghua Holdings, which controls Nuctech and more than 20 other companies.

Nuctech provides security scanning equipment.

Nuctech representative Yang Fan and two Namibians, Teckla Lameck and Jerobeam Mokaxwa, were arrested after Namibia\’s Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) discovered that a 12.8 million US dollar down payment on 13 scanners had been diverted to a firm called Teko Trading owned by the two Namibians.

Nuctech has a Namibian government contract to supply security scanning equipment in a 55.3 million US dollar deal, paid for with a Chinese loan granted when the Chinese president visited the country in 2007.

Investigators say the down payment was diverted to Teko Trading between March and April.

All three of the accused later drew large sums from the Teko account, with Yang taking 16.8 million Namibia dollars (2.1 million US dollars), most of which he is said to have paid into an investment fund, investigators say.

China\’s foreign ministry declined comment when contacted by AFP about the case on Wednesday, referring queries to Nuctech.

Staff at Nuctech\’s Beijing-based headquarters however also declined comment.

"We never speak to the media," said a woman who answered the phone.
 

Shares

Latest Articles

Stock Market

Most Viewed