LONDON, October 27 – Liverpool’s Anfield stadium was evacuated on Tuesday after an “incident”, the Premier League club said.
Reports said that the evacuation call was made after two men who were taking part in a stadium tour went missing, which saw police called to the ground.
“There is an incident at Anfield stadium, and as a precautionary measure the facility has been evacuated,” said a Liverpool spokesman.
“Our priority is to ensure the safety and well-being of everyone at the ground. The emergency services are aware of the situation.”
Merseyside Police said in a statement: “Merseyside Police can confirm that a search of Anfield football stadium is currently under way after the club raised an alert earlier this afternoon.
“At 3.05pm (1505 GMT), the club reported to Merseyside Police that the ground had been evacuated after a man who had been on a tour was unaccounted for and believed to be in the stadium.
“The club cannot guarantee that the man has left the ground and therefore a search of the ground is under way.”
Anfield is due to host Liverpool’s League Cup fourth-round tie against Bournemouth on Wednesday.