Football Football

Two detained over Fenerbahce gun attack

Shares

FENERBAHCE-BUSANKARA, April 7- Turkish police have detained two men following a gun attack on a bus carrying players from the Fenerbahce football club over the weekend, a regional governor said on Tuesday.

“Two suspects have been arrested, they are being interrogated,” said Adil Celal Oz, governor of the northeast region of Trabzon where the attack took place late on Saturday.

The bus was hit by gunfire as it took players from the Istanbul club to the airport after Fenerbahce’s 5-1 victory at nearby Rize. No players were hurt in the attack but the driver suffered facial wounds.

The club said it would not play again until the incident was resolved and the Turkish Football Federation announced that league games would be suspended for one week.

One of the men detained shot at the bus while the other called him on the phone to alert him that it was coming, the governor said.

Both men have denied the charges against them, the Dogan news agency reported.

On Monday the regional prosecutor said a person had been detained after allegedly making death threats against club players on the Internet.

Fenerbahce, which won its 19th Turkish league title this season, tops the table ahead of its Istanbul archrivals Galatasaray and Besiktas.

The club says it is still a victim of hostility following allegations of match-rigging that have rocked the team for months.

Shares

Comments