Football Football

Aguero: City will fight to the death

Shares

AGUERO-UNITEDMANCHESTER, February 20- Sergio Aguero says Manchester City won’t surrender in the race to catch Premier League leaders Chelsea because they know what it takes to snatch the title at the death.

Second-placed City could be 10 points behind leaders Chelsea when they kick-off against Newcastle at 1730 GMT on Saturday because Jose Mourinho’s team will already have finished their match against Burnley at Stamford Bridge earlier in the day.

Aguero memorably scored in stoppage-time against QPR on the last day of the 2011-12 season to earn City the Premier League title.

And with 13 matches still to play the Argentina striker says Manuel Pellegrini’s champions will continue to fight.

“I believe this will be one of the most highly contested Premier Leagues of recent years and we will be giving everything to retain our title,” Aguero said.

“Why not? We were worse off in past seasons we still won and I was always convinced we’d be champions.

“There is a long way to go and a lot of games to play so anything is possible. Right now, it’s anyone’s title and it’s not just two sides competing – there are many teams that are still in the hunt.

“Arsenal and Manchester United are back on their feet, Southampton are not far behind and Liverpool and Spurs have all shown good form, too.”

 – City back to full strength –

City have managed to keep pace with Chelsea despite being without Aguero for six weeks after their top-scorer suffered a knee injury.

Fellow forwards Edin Dzeko and Stevan Jovetic are also back in action, while January signing Wilfried Bony is in line to make his debut after his January move from Swansea.

“Now we are back to full strength and we have also added to our squad,” Aguero said.

“Bony is a valuable addition to bolster our ranks for the final months of the season.

“We have a lot of quality in our team which makes things very competitive and it will remain that way.”

Bony’s Ivory Coast compatriot Yaya Toure is also in line to return to the City team after helping his country win the African Cup of Nations.

Toure was sorely missed as City won just once in six matches in the midfielder’s absence.

John Carver, Newcastle’s head coach, has several injury worries as the mid-table Magpies look to repeat their fine 2-0 League Cup victory at City in October.

Paul Dummett has been ruled out for up to 12 weeks with a knee injury sustained in the 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace, leaving Newcastle with just four fit senior defenders, after allowing Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa to complete a permanent move to Roma and Davide Santon’s return on loan to his former club Inter Milan in the transfer window.

Newcastle’s League Cup win earlier this season was in stark contrast to their league record against City, who will hope to record a 12th consecutive win against the Magpies, who’ve gone more than eight hours since last finding the net against the Eastlands outfit in the Premier League, back in December 2012.

Carver, who is also set to be without Remy Cabella, after the French midfielder strained medial ligaments, said: “We won’t just go to City and park the bus. We’ve got to take a lot from that win at theirs earlier in the season. It was thoroughly deserved, it wasn’t a freak result.

“City have got a big Champions League game coming up against Barcelona, so we don’t know what changes they’ll make ahead of that match, but we’re determined to give a good account of ourselves and cause them a few problems.”

Shares

Comments