LONDON, January 27 – Samuel Eto’o has completed his move from Everton to Italian club Sampdoria, signing a two-and-a-half-year deal, the English Premier League side announced Tuesday.
The 33-year-old Cameroon striker joined Everton on a free transfer from Chelsea in August and leaves after scoring four goals in 20 appearances.
Everton boss Roberto Martinez told the Merseyside club’s website: “We thank Samuel for his efforts and for bringing his know-how to the team and to (Everton’s training ground) Finch Farm, where he passed on some of his terrific experience to all of the young players in particular.
“The memory of his performances in Europe stand out especially. On behalf of all Evertonians, we wish him well for the next chapter in his career.”
Sampdoria, who are fifth but are level on points with fourth-placed Lazio, are one of several teams hoping to battle for a third-place finish and possible Champions League spot.
Last week, Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero signed four players, including Udinese marksman Luis Muriel, and said: “Today I have brought you four pearls and maybe tomorrow there will be another.”
Eto’o is now returning to Italy, where he enjoyed huge success with Inter Milan during his spell with the club in 2009-2011, including winning the treble of League, Cup and Champions League in 2010 under former coach Jose Mourinho.