The President of the Paris court, however, implied the 34-year-old could benefit from a reduced sentencing and not a prison stay.
French prosecutors had requested an eight-month suspended term and 15,000 euros ($18,000) fine, against Brandao who waited for and headbutted Motta after a Ligue 1 game on August 16.
CCTV security cameras at Parc des Princes showed Brandao headbutting Brazilian-born Italian midfielder Motta and then ran away to the Bastia changing rooms leaving the Paris player with a broken nose.
Brandao claimed he had been insulted by Motta throughout the match, relating to a rape charge Brandao was cleared of in 2012.
He however denied that it was premeditated, claiming he had wanted to “have it out with Motta and then blew a fuse” in the heat of the moment.
The prosecutor had earlier described the player’s actions as calculated, pointing out to the magistrate that a threat of violence had been made earlier in the evening.
“On the pitch he (Brandao) said he’d be waiting for me afterwards, but I never thought he’d actually do it,” Motta told the police.
French football authorities have hit Brandao with a six-month playing ban, ruling him out until February.
Brandao is currently in hospital receiving treatment for a thigh injury.
© 1994-2014 Agence France-Presse