Football Football

Ethiopia withdraws from hosting Cecafa

Shares

KINGATUA-ETHIOPIANAIROBI, October 31- Ethiopia has withdrawn from hosting next month’s Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup due to domestic and international engagements.

Confirming the development to Capital Sport Cecafa Secretary General Nicholas Musonye said they are now in negotiations with Sudan who are likely to step in as hosts.

“Ethiopia has written to us saying they will not be able to host the tournament because their national team is engaged in AFCON while the domestic league is still on and they would like to concentrate on them.

“I want to assure our members the tournament will run smoothly since Sudan are interested in hosting the event so we will be announcing the official communication soon,” Musonye explained.

Ethiopia who were set to host the tournament for the first time since 2006, were given the rights early this year after confirming they had sponsors.

If successful, Sudan who hosted the inaugural Cecafa Nile Basin Cup, will be staging the annual event for the first time in 11 years.

Kenya’s Harambee Stars are the defending champions after edging out the Falcons of Sudan 2-0 in last year’s event that was staged in Nairobi.

However, the Secretary General said the dates of the event that was to run from November 24 to December 9 will not be changed.

Shares

Comments