JOHANNESBURG, February 12 – South African Paralympics star Oscar Pistorius who goes ont trial for murder next month, has reached an out of court settlement over a separate 2009 assault charge, his lawyer said Wednesday.
“It was a confidential settlement,” Pistorius’s lawyer Gary Pritchard told AFP. “The matter is settled.”
“Both parties served notices of withdrawal of the action on each other and it has been resolved,” he added.
Pistorius was arrested in 2009 for allegedly assaulting Pretoria-based blogger Cassidy Taylor-Memmory during a house party.
She alleged that the athlete slammed a door against her, injuring her leg.
Taylor-Memmory was friends with a woman who was dating Pistorius at the time.
He offered no apology when the case was settled.
“I suppose that goes without saying because if there was a written apology then it would have been published but it’s a confidential settlement, so …it’s correct there’s no apology,” said Pritchard.
Pistorius will on March 3 face trial on charges that he murdered his lover Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day last year.
He shot dead 29-year-old Steenkamp through a locked bathroom door at his upmarket Pretoria home, but denies the charge of murder and says he mistook Steenkamp for an intruder.
Pistorius, 27, whose legs were amputated below the knee when he was a young boy, shot to fame as the “Blade Runner” when he competed on two fibre-optic blades against able-bodied athletes at the London 2012 Olympic Games.