Football Football

Musonye cries sabotage over Kenya Cecafa snub

Shares

NAIROBI, Kenya, September 27- Cecafa secretary general Nicholas Musonye has accused Football Kenya Federation (FKF) chairman Sam Nyamweya of sabotaging the regional tournament in the wake of Kenya’s planned boycott to this year’s edition set for Uganda in November.

Musonye said Nyamweya’s recent actions were bent on creating confusion in the regional body which he claimed were detrimental to the success of the sport within the member states.

“We have held two successful tournaments in Tanzania without any noise, football is not played in a disorganised manner and there must be order and discipline.

“Any elements of sabotage, incitement and indiscipline in Cecafa will not be tolerated, those who want to do so have no room as long as I’m in charge,” he charged during a press briefing on Thursday.

Harambee Stars coach Henri Michel on Tuesday confirmed the football boss earlier assertions that Kenya was unlikely to take the trip to Uganda after he publicly showed his preference to play in an Africa Nations Championship CHAN qualifier against Burundi.

“In my opinion, the Cecafa Cup is not an important competition and I’m not taking it into consideration at the moment.

“I prefer to have my players prepare for the game against Burundi rather than this competition where you have one game every 48 hours which is not compatible with the job you have to do to prepare an international game like the one before us,” the tactician said during his first media briefing.

Nyamweya had earlier protested the decision by Cecafa to grant the hosting rights to neighbours Uganda but ceded ground a fortnight ago after FKF sought the intervention of the Confederation of African Football during a General Assembly held in Seychelles last month.

Musonye called upon member states to prepare well and confirm participation in writing by October 8, cautioning those who wouldn’t have complied will not be engaged in the draw to be held in Kampala a month later.

While disclosing they were countries beyond the region who had requested to participate in the tournament, he urged members to take advantage of the live broadcast by SuperSport to expose their players.

“We want our members to participate in these championships since it’s their own but there are some of us who want to sabotage themselves forgetting they are part and parcel of Cecafa,” he said.

Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Ivory Coast and Cameroon are the countries who have showed willingness to be part of the action that has eight confirmations from hosts Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia and South Sudan.

The secretary general said all preparations are progressing well with his body, the Ugandan Football Federation and sponsors, East African Breweries Limited all committed to deliver a successful event.

“We have set everything in place, for us it’s important for us to organise a good competition,” he said in his parting shot.

Incidentally, the same company sponsors both the Kenyan national team and the country’s league and it remains to be seen how the planned snubbed of the Cecafa tournament will affect the relationship between the brewers and FKF.

Burundi, who Kenya face in the December 1 CHAN qualifier, Eritrea and Sudan are the other nations who are yet to submit their entries for the tournament.

Shares

Comments