Confident Ortiz on Mayweather – ‘He’s done’

Shares

LAS VEGAS, Nevada, September 1 – Confident American southpaw Victor Ortiz declared himself ready for whatever unbeaten Floyd Mayweather offers in their September 17 welterweight title bout, declaring Wednesday that “he’s done.”

Ortiz, 29-2-2 with 22 knockouts, will defend the World Boxing Council crown against compatriot Mayweather, 41-0 with 25 knockouts, in the challenger’s first fight since beating Shane Mosley by unanimous decision in May of 2010.

“He can’t adjust to me,” Ortiz said. “I don’t care what he brings. He’s done. He was done when he signed to fight Victor Ortiz.”

Ortiz, who at 24 is 10 years younger than Mayweather, claimed his first world title last April with a unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Andre Berto. Now he wants to end Mayweather’s undefeated run as well.

“Everything will be told September 17 when a man’s career ends and another man’s career begins,” Ortiz said. “I will bring a cane for the old man so his back won’t hurt too much.”

Ortiz said he does not expect Mayweather to have surrendered anything to age or ring rust, having fought only twice since December of 2007 while battling legal charges in several cases outside the ring as well.

“I want the actual Floyd Mayweather to show up,” Ortiz said. “I don’t want one that has lost speed or lost power. He’s got that beautiful mouth of his. I want the best Floyd Mayweather to show up.”

Mayweather’s victims include Oscar de la Hoya, Ricky Hatton and Juan Manuel Marquez but he has not made a deal for the bout most attractive to fight fans against Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao.

Fighting Ortiz would be a perfect set-up for meeting Pacquiao next year if a deal can be struck, but left-hander Ortiz hopes to end such talk once and for all by dispatching Mayweather.

“My only thing is ‘Floyd Who?'” Ortiz said. “He’s overdue. He’s not supposed to be a 147-pounder. He knows that.

“Floyd is a good fighter but I’ve always thought he wasn’t great. I’m not impressed and I’m not going to hold any respect like his 41 victims.

“Those fighters he fought, none of them were me. Somebody is in trouble. It’s not what I think I can do. It’s what I know I can do.”

Ortiz says he skipped watching the first installment of a television series promoting the fight, saying, “I didn’t feel like hearing a little kid (Mayweather) run his mouth.”

Ortiz said he has plans well beyond Mayweather, but they will be launched with a victory over the talkative former champion.

“I know where I’m going with this whole thing. I know for sure I will be champion for many years to come,” Ortiz said.

“I’m going to keep working and I’m going to keep reigning. I believe the fight on September 17 will say it all.”

The card also includes a showdown for the vacant WBC super-lightweight title between Mexico’s Erik Morales, 51-7 with two drawn and 35 knockouts, and Argentina’s Lucas Matthysse, 28-2 with 26 knockouts.

Shares

Comments