Football Football

Mancini wants swift end to Nasri saga

Shares

MANCHESTER, England, August 19 – Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini is optimistic that the club will complete the signing of Samir Nasri “very quickly” as the Arsenal player edges closer to his departure from the club.

Negotiations between the two clubs have rumbled on for several weeks and Mancini is keen to acquire the French international as quickly as possible.

“I hope we can close it very quickly now, but I don’t know the last news about him because my concentration is on the game,” Mancini said.

“But I hope – also because the market finishes in the next 10 days.”

Mancini said he was unaware of any possible glitch in the deal.

“I don’t know – this is not my job,” he said. “I don’t know why, but it is probably because Nasri is a good player, or because there is some problem.”

Meanwhile Mancini declined to expand on speculation that City may soon offload striker Emmanuel Adebayor to Spurs, saying only that it was “possible” the Togolese international may be sold.

Meanwhile, Arsene Wenger faces a disciplinary hearing for allegedly breaching the terms of his touchline ban during the Gunners’ 1-0 Champions League win over Udinese, UEFA confirmed on Friday.

Wenger, who was banished to the stands for Tuesday’s tie as a result of his spat with match officials during last season’s Champions League clash with Barcelona, is accused of passing messages to the Arsenal dugout.

“Disciplinary proceedings have been opened against Arsenal FC manager Arsene Wenger for not abiding by the decisions of the UEFA control and disciplinary body in relation to the one-match suspension he served during Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League play-off game against Udinese,” a UEFA statement said.

During Tuesday’s match, Wenger appeared to be relaying messages to the Arsenal bench via an assistant sitting next to him at the Emirates.

Arsenal immediately confirmed they plan to contest Wenger’s case on Monday.

Wenger had earlier stated that he had sought clarification about the terms of his touchline ban and been told he could communicate to the bench via a third party.

Shares

Comments