Tevez withdraws transfer request

Shares

LONDON, December 21 – Manchester City revealed on Monday that star striker and captain Carlos Tevez has withdrawn his transfer request following clear-the-air talks.Tevez had shocked City by demanding a move earlier this month after claiming his relationship with the Premier League club’s hierarchy had deteriorated beyond repair.

When City rejected the Argentine’s claims in a strongly-worded statement it appeared certain the former Manchester United player would be on his way out of Eastlands.

However, Tevez met with City boss Roberto Mancini on Friday and, after also speaking to club officials, he has decided to remain with the team he joined from United in 2009.

"Manchester City can confirm to its fans that ‘clear the air’ talks have been held with Carlos Tevez," a statement on City’s website said.

"During the meeting Carlos expressed his absolute commitment to the club and formally withdrew his transfer request.

"Carlos’s contract remains unchanged and both Carlos and the football club are keen to focus on the opportunities that lie ahead."

The 26-year-old Tevez scored 29 goals in his first City season and has 10 in 18 appearances this term, having been appointed captain before the season started.

One problem during Tevez’s time at City has been homesickness as he misses his two daughters who are back in Argentina.

It is also believed Tevez’s stormy relationship with Mancini and the club’s failure to qualify for the Champions League played a role in the forward’s discontent.

Tevez rowed with Mancini over the manager’s negative tactics at half-time of a match against Newcastle this season and also had a touchline bust-up with the Italian after being substituted in a win over Bolton.

Mancini was still keen to keep his best player and admitted he was delighted to see the situation resolved as he side try to challenge for the Premier League title.

"Carlos is a world class player whose contribution since he joined the club has been invaluable," Mancini told the club’s website.

"I am pleased that we are now able to focus on pure football matters and to be able to look forward to Carlos continuing to play a significant role in the club’s progress."

It was expected that Tevez would receive a hostile reception from City supporters if he featured in Monday’s home clash against Everton, but he may now get a more favourable reaction.

Shares

Comments