Pietersen apologises for rant

Shares

LONDON, September 2 – Kevin Pietersen has apologised for his furious reaction to England's decision to leave him out of the one-day squads to face Pakistan.Pietersen was axed from the five one-day internationals and two Twenty20 matches after a poor run for England in an attempt to give him time to rediscover his form during a loan spell with English county Surrey.

The batsman responded to the news by posting a message on micro-blogging internet site Twitter which said: "Done for rest of summer!! Man of the World Cup T20 and dropped from the T20 side too.. Its a f*** up!!"

Pietersen’s blast was reported to have infuriated national selector Geoff Miller and, in a bid to calm the situtation, he has now said sorry for his rant.

The 30-year-old, who will leave his parent county Hampshire at the end of the season, claimed he published the message on Twitter by mistake and apologised for his comments ahead of his Surrey debut against Worcestershire on Wednesday.

"It came out in the way that I didn’t want it to come out," Pietersen told Surrey TV.

"It was something that wasn’t meant for the public domain and I apologise for it entering the public domain and I also want to apologise for the language I used.

"It was a mistake that the tweet went out there. It wasn’t anything against the England selectors or the England set-up. I was pretty upset about my own form and frustrated about it too.

"I have spoken to the coach (Andy Flower) T20 captain (Paul Collingwood) chair of selectors (Miller) and the managing director of English cricket (Hugh Morris) and they all totally understand so it’s onwards and upwards from now and I’m looking forward to the next two weeks here."

Pietersen, out for a duck in England’s innings and 225 run fourth Test victory over Pakistan at Lord’s last week, was grateful to Surrey for giving him a chance to re-build his form and insisted he understood the selectors’ decision.

"Any opportunity to spend some time in the middle is opportunity that I had to grab with both hands so I’m looking forward to it," he added.

"It’s understandable that the selectors would like me to play some four-day games because the only first class cricket I have played since my Achilles injury has been in Test matches and it’s pretty difficult to play Test matches if you are not at the top of your game.

"It’s a wonderful opportunity for me to get back into nick."

Pietersen subsequently made 38 off 33 balls, including six fours, before he was caught and bowled by Shaaiq Choudhry, a 24-year-old left-arm spinner, in a 40-over match Worcestershire won by 90 runs.

Earlier, Darren Gough, a former England bowler, earlier told TalkSport that Pietersen — the star of England’s winning World Twenty20 campaign earlier this year — deserved a chance to rediscover his form against Pakistan.

"He’s England’s best one-day player and what better way for him to get back into form than to go out against Pakistan and belt it," Gough said.

"It’s absolutely pathetic that you can drop the man who was player of the tournament at the World Twenty20 earlier this year.

Gough also insisted Pietersen should continue to be a part of England’s plans for their defence of the Ashes in Australia.

"If they don’t take him to the Ashes, we might as well just give Australia the urn," Gough added.

"What would Australia have done? I didn’t see them drop Mike Hussey when he was struggling. I didn’t see them drop Michael Clarke when he went through a bad run of form. They stick with them because they’re world class."

While Pietersen clearly has Gough’s support, another of his former international team-mates – ex-England captain Michael Vaughan – believes the star was wrong to voice his opinion on Twitter.

"What he did on his Twitter account was totally wrong," Vaughan told BBC Radio 5 live. "I think that’s something Kevin will regret for a long time."

Shares

Comments