City dismiss Drogba talk claims

Shares

MANCHESTER, July 20 – Claims by Didier Drogba's agent that Manchester City had held talks about signing the Chelsea superstar were dismissed out of hand by a City spokesman on Tuesday.Drogba’s agent Thierno Seydi had suggested in a radio interview that Drogba could leave Stamford Bridge before the transfer deadline and said there had already been dialogue with City.

Yet City, who have spent around 60 million pounds on Jerome Boateng, David Silva and Yaya Toure this summer, insisted there was no truth in Seydi’s remarks.

A City spokesperson said: "There has been absolutely no contact. We have not spoken to him and there is no foundation to this."

Drogba, 32, was the Premier League top goalscorer with 29 as Chelsea won the title last season.

The Ivory Coast international has scored 84 goals for the club since his 24 million pound signing from Marseille six years ago.

Seydi said the player was happy to remain with the Blues but, at his age, had to consider good financial offers from elsewhere.

"Today he is at Chelsea," Seydi told French station RMC. "There might be surprises before August 31.

"I have not talked to just anybody. The only contact I have had, directly, was Manchester City."

Seydi also opened up the possibility of a return to Marseille for his client.

Drogba only spent a year with the French club but is still revered at the Stade Velodrome.

Seydi added: "Didier has always said that he dreams of ending his career at Marseille. But there is a gulf between dreams and reality.

"What is certain is that at the present time he is very happy at Chelsea.

"That said, it is not forbidden for us to lend an ear to what is being said and written."

Shares

Comments