NAIROBI, June 18 – Kenyan cricket officials on Friday called off a proposed three-match pre-World Cricket League tour to England following a dispute with players over allowances and contracts.The 20-man squad was scheduled to leave on Saturday to train and play three friendly matches against local sides in Rochdale, Lancashire before travelling to the Netherlands, where the ICC World Cricket League division one tournament gets underway on July 1.
But Cricket Kenya (CK) chairman Samir Inamdar said the tour was scrapped after the team boycotted their training during the last two days before the trip because they were unhappy with their contracts and the selection of the players.
"We had a meeting with the players to discuss their contracts, which were up for renewal after they expired on May 30. We have given everybody a 10 percent increment," said Inamdar.
"The increment was based on seniority and performances but the players, through their representatives, insisted they wanted a huge pay rise.
"They also went ahead to issue other demands, including the sacking of the national selection committee and accused the board of being corrupt. We are not going to be held at ransom."
Inamdar said the team stands to lose over 40,000 dollars (32,000 euros) in appearance money for the three friendlies, which had been organised by Friends of Kenya cricket in England.