NAIROBI, Kenya, May 14 – The KCB Visa Card Rally kicks off on Saturday morning outside the KCB Kisumu branch at 7am.The reigning KCB Safari Rally champion, Lee Rose will lead the pack of over 30 cars which also includes the National Formula Two Rally Championship contenders.
Rose, fresh from winning Kenya’s premiere motor sports event barely a month ago, says victory is the ultimate result in a rally which he will be contesting for only the second time in his career.
“I can only think of winning it and nothing short of. If it stays wet then the better,’’ said Rose.
Heavy rains have been pounding Kisumu for the last few days though nothing to worry the organizers who have put extra efforts in this year’s event to make sure the KCB Visa Card Rally runs smoothly.
Clerk of Course Glynn Holland said all stages are passable despite the heavy rains which have being hitting nationwide.
“We have been working on the concept of ensuring that the drivers and spectators get the best in terms of safety and entertainment. All stages are passable rains continue to hit the sections," Holland said.
While, Rose is one of the few top drivers not have recorded victory in the lakeside event, the likes of Ian Duncan winner in 1989 and 1992, Baldev Chager (1998), Alastair Cavenagh (2004) and Carl Tundo (2005) will be eyeing for similar results to enhance their chances of winning the 2010 KNRC title for another time.
Rose, who is vying for his third national crown, is currently lying third in the overall standings of the 2010 KCB-sponsored KNRC series with 120 points.
Patrick Njiru is the only driver to have won the rally on three different occasions (1993/94/97) while Duncan and Rob Collinge
(1978/79) are the only other drivers to have won the rally more than once.
Apart from KCB, the event is also supported by other sponsors such as National Oil Corporation, Iway, Highlands, Identisys, Car Track and ALS.
The first car will report at the first competitive stage at Awasi at 07.48, Quarry Awasi (08.04), Service “A’’ (08.24), Miwani (09.22), Tinderet (10.11), Homa Lime (11.02), Service “B” (11.22), Miwani2 (13.05), Tinderet2 (13.54) and Homa Lime2 (14.45).
The Kenyatta Sports Ground will host the finish where the first car is expected to report at 16.30.
Thereafter, all the rally cars will head for the Kisumu Yacht Club where the official prize-giving ceremony will be held.
Provisional Start List:
1. Lee Rose/Piers Daykin (Mitsubishi Evo9)
2. Alastair Cavenagh /Gavin Laurence (Mitsubishi EVO9)
3. Ian Duncan/Amaar Slatch (Nissan Patrol)
4. Azar Anwar/Julius Ngigi (Mitsubishi EVO8)
5. Peter Horsey/Moses Matovu (Mitsubishi EVO10)
6. Carl Tundo/Tim Jessop (Mitsubishi EVO 9N) Dalbit Rally Team
7. Baldev Chager/Raju Sehmi (Subaru Impreza N12)
8. Jas Mangat/Leon Ssenyange (Subaru Impreza)
9. Asad Anwar/Kashif Sheikh (Subaru P/Up)
10. Alex Horsey/ Frank Gitau (Mitsubishi Evo9)
11. Izhar Mirza/Zahir Shah (Mitsubishi Evo 9)
12. Anwar Pandya/George Kiama (Subaru Impreza N10)
14. Alfir Khan/Mohamed Kana (Subaru Impreza)
15. Asad Khan/Salim Khan (Subaru Impreza N10)
16. Anthony Nielsen/ Mike Ogwapit (Mitsubishi Evo9)
17. Said Hamad/Victor Okundi (Subaru Impreza N6N)
18. Jaswinder Chana/Ravi Chana (Toyota Cellica GT4)
19. Ghalib Haji/Sinder Sudle (Subaru Impreza N10)
20. Hardeep S. Rehsi/Kamaljit S. Ubhi (Subaru Impreza)
21. Ben Muchemi/Bob Kaugi (Subaru Impreza N10)
22. Aslam Khan/Farhaaz Khan (Ford Escort)
23. Jasmeet Chana/Sudhir Thatti (Toyota Celica GT4)
24. Randeep Lochab/Ravi Soni (Subaru Impreza)
25. Shazar Anwar/Job Njiru (Subaru P/Up)
26. Charles Hinga/Norriz Ongalo (Mitsubishi Evo8)
27. Sandeep Jandu/Gurdeep Mehangra (Subaru Impreza)
28. sKhurram Bhutt/Adnan Din (Subaru Impreza)
29. Khalid Umar/Shakil Umar (Subaru Impreza)
30. Jagjeet S. Patter/Gurdeep S. Panesar (Subaru Impreza N6)
31. Issa Amwari/Franklin Muthomi (Subaru Impreza)
32. Stanley Thuo/TBA (Toyota Cellica GT4)
33. Munir Khan/Sam Jethwa (Toyota Levin)
34. Peter Mburu/Julie Mureithi (Toyota Starlet)
35. Leonardo Varese/Kigondu Kareithi (VW Golf Gti)
36. James Kirimi/Kimeli Korir (VW Golf Gti)
37. Adnan Suhail/Mahesh Saleh (Daihatsu Charade)