GENEVA, May 11 – International sport's top court said on Monday that it aimed to rule by May 18 on an appeal filed by Bayern Munich and its French playmaker Franck Ribery against UEFA's three-match ban on the French player.
The Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) said in a statement that Bayern had asked for the ban to be cut to one match.
That would allow Ribery to take part in the Champions League final against Inter Milan on May 22 if the CAS panel of arbitrators rules in his favour.
European football’s governing body rejected a first appeal by Ribery against the three match ban last week, but Bayern decided to exercise its right to take the case to the CAS.
"The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has initiated an arbitration procedure following the appeal filed by Bayern Munich and Franck Ribery against the decision taken by the UEFA Appeals Body on 5 May 2010," the court statement said.
"The CAS should be in a position to issue a final decision on 18 May 2010," it added.
UEFA’s disciplinary committee imposed the suspension after Ribery was sent off for a foul in the semi-final first leg clash with Lyon. He has already served one match by being sidelined from the second leg in Lyon on April 27.
Bayern has argued that Ribery had committed "foul play or a gross foul" and did not merit the three match suspension invoked for a serious offence.
However UEFA officials believe his tackle on Lyon striker Lisandro Lopez was dangerous.