Nowhere to go, tenants of collapsed Embakasi building appeal for help

June 14, 2017 (3 weeks ago) 7:04 pm
Shares
“Our leaders only spoke to journalists… But where is the support?”/JOSEPH MURAYA

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 14 – A humanitarian crisis is looming at the Jobenfa Academy, where hundreds of families who were evacuated from the building that collapsed on Monday night are camping.

Those who are affected largely are women and children who don’t have a change of clothes while the dusty premises lack enough space.

Though politicians promised to offer support, those who have spoken to Capital FM News says they are yet to receive anything, save for a few blankets that were donated by the area Member of Parliament Irshad Sumra.

“We have no eaten anything since morning and no help seems to come,” 22 years old Millicent Minoo told Capital FM News.

She’s a mother of two with her youngest kid being nine-months-old.

“Please tell the politicians not to lie and instead honour their words,” a teary Minoo said.

“I am worried for my children because the place is extremely dusty… We’ve slept in the cold. It is only Sumra who brought blankets and tea the night the building collapsed. ”

“We have no eaten anything since morning and no help seems to come,” 22 years old Millicent Minoo told Capital FM News/JOSEPH MURAYA

Frederick Abuga, 25, has also taken shelter at the school with his wife and children.

“We just want a little support to start off with our lives… We know how to hustle,” Abuga said.

“It is painful to see my family helpless but I can’t do anything… Sad that our leaders only spoke to journalists… But where is the support?

It is the sad tale of the survivors who hope the future will be bright once again.

The lucky ones are those who have relatives around the place since they’re being brought food.

Governor Evans Kidero and Nairobi Woman Representative Rachel Shebesh had promised to assist the families yesterday after they visited the site of the building.

National Disaster Management Unit Deputy Director Pius Masai has urged Kenyans of goodwill to support the families with food and other basic necessities.

So far two people have been rescued alive while one body was retrieved on Tuesday night.

One woman succumbed to injuries while undergoing treatment in hospital.

Meanwhile, authorities are finding it hard to keep ‘fake victims’ from infiltrating.

The search operation is currently ongoing.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed