SRC shifts blame to Treasury for stalled IEBC reforms

September 24, 2016 4:57 pm
Shares

,

The IEBC commissioners have agreed to exit with an attractive package on condition they will not be prosecuted on any alleged crimes committed while in office. Photo/FILE.
The IEBC commissioners have agreed to exit with an attractive package on condition they will not be prosecuted on any alleged crimes committed while in office. Photo/FILE.
NAIROBI, Kenya Sep 24 – The blame game on the stalled IEBC reforms continued in earnest, kicked off by a statement issued by National Assembly Speaker Justin Muturi who pointed fingers at the Treasury and the Salaries and Remuneration Commission.

But SRC says it is the Treasury which has not tabled a proposal on a send-off package for 8 IEBC commissioners and their Chairman Isaack Hassan who agreed to vacate office.

Muturi however, insists in his statement that is the Sarah Serem led-SRC, which is constitutionally mandated to give guideline on perks awarded to holders of public office and are yet to comment on the matter a month after Parliament adopted a report by Joint Parliamentary Select Committee formed to look into ways to electoral reforms.

Muturi expressed concern that the delay in recruiting the new commissioner will affect the preparations timetable for next year’s general election.

“It has become excruciatingly clear that the process of having a new electoral body in place instantaneously may not actually be as such,” Muturi said.

But Siaya Senator James Orengo who is a co-chair of the joint parliamentary committee had earlier this week expressed confidence that their recommendations to have Hassan’s team vacate office by next week Friday will be achieved.

“The business of the select committee is on course although there are some delays which I have expressed myself to in a written statement, but if you look at the timelines, there is every chance that everything will be accomplished within the timelines as spelt out,” Orengo said.

Gatundu South Member of Parliament Moses Kuria, is however, worried that unless the process is hastened, the current commissioners may be obligated to oversee next year’s General Election if they do not vacate office by Friday next week as outlined by the joint parliamentary committee that drafted proposed electoral reforms.

“It is my hope that the speakers will convene an emergency seating of the two houses to create the oversight committee,” he wrote on his Facebook Page, soon after Muturi issued his statement from Iran.

Kuria has warned that “the worst nightmare will happen on Friday next week when a commission should be in place failure to which the current commissioners will be under obligation to oversee next year’s General Election.”

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed