Kenya Power technician electrocuted, another hospitalised

September 23, 2016 9:28 am
Shares
According to police, the technicians had switched off power to work on the transformer but it reconnected before they could complete the task/FILE
According to police, the technicians had switched off power to work on the transformer but it reconnected before they could complete the task/FILE

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 23- Two Kenya Power employees were electrocuted in Kisumu last night while replacing a transformer.

Police said one of them died while the other was hospitalised after suffering serious injuries.

According to police, the technicians had switched off power to work on the transformer but it reconnected before they could complete the task.

The incident occurred at about 7pm in Kanyamedha village, just outside Kondele.

“Investigations into the incident are ongoing and we will issue subsequent updates. The company regrets the occurrence and will do everything possible to support the affected families,” read a statement from Kenya Power.

The injured employee according to the company is stable and recovering at Avenue Hospital, Kisumu.

The two were among a team of three engaged in a normal repair work on an isolated line.

A similar incident occurred in Nakuru in April involving two technicians contracted by the power firm-causing uproar across the country on why power was switched on while they were active at work on power lines.

The two technicians of a company contracted by Kenya Power received electrical burns as they were installing a meter.

A probe was launched to establish what transpired though its outcome has never been made public.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed