Two more arrests in connection with Bastille Day attack

July 26, 2016 10:58 am
A woman stands by a makeshift memorial in tribute to the victims of the deadly Bastille Day attack at the Promenade des Anglais in Nice © AFP/File / Valery Hache

, French police have arrested two men in connection with the Bastille Day massacre in Nice which left 84 people dead, a source close to the investigation said Tuesday.

“They were placed in custody while investigators seek to determine if the Tunisian (attacker) Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel had logistical support,” said the source.

Prosecutors believe Bouhlel had long plotted the attack in which he ploughed a 19-tonne truck into a crowd which had been enjoying a fireworks display on Nice’s seafront Promenade Des Anglais, injuring more than 300 people.

Four men and a woman have already been charged with being accomplices to murder by a terrorist group.

Nice attack suspected accomplices © AFP / Laurence CHU, John SAEKI

Prosecutor Francois Molins said that correspondence between the suspects and Bouhlel — shot dead by police during the attack — indicated they had been in on the plot.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State group.

However while Bouhlel had gruesome images on his computer related to the group, as well as its rivals Al-Qaeda, investigators have not turned up evidence of his sworn allegiance to the group.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed