Sudan evacuates nationals from S.Sudan

July 15, 2016 3:57 pm
Shares
The UN says at least 36,000 people have fled their homes in Juba since the latest bout of fighting, while three quarters of the population need humanitarian aid/AFP
The UN says at least 36,000 people have fled their homes in Juba since the latest bout of fighting, while three quarters of the population need humanitarian aid/AFP

, KHARTOUM, Sudan, Jul 14 – Dozens of Sudanese women and children arrived in Khartoum from Juba on Friday as Sudan began evacuating its nationals from South Sudan, which split from the north five years ago.

South Sudanese voted for independence from Sudan under a peace agreement in 2011 but the world’s youngest country fell into a civil war that has killed tens of thousands of people.

Overview
  • Specially chartered planes have been taking foreign nationals out of the country since Wednesday.
  • Sudan too began evacuating its nationals, and the first flight carrying 76 Sudanese arrived in Khartoum on Friday afternoon.
  • "We are focusing on bringing women, children and elderly people first," government official Gamal Ahmed told reporters at Khartoum airport.

South Sudan was rocked by fighting again last week when fierce battles erupted in the capital ahead of the country’s independence anniversary.

Although a ceasefire has held since late Monday, the United Nations has warned of the possibility of fresh fighting in Juba.

Specially chartered planes have been taking foreign nationals out of the country since Wednesday.

Sudan too began evacuating its nationals, and the first flight carrying 76 Sudanese arrived in Khartoum on Friday afternoon.

“We are focusing on bringing women, children and elderly people first,” government official Gamal Ahmed told reporters at Khartoum airport.

“There will be other flights today bringing more people.”

Officials said on Thursday that Sudan will operate three to four flights a day to bring its nationals home.

“Most of them are traders and those working in international NGOs. They are in thousands,” government official Hajj Magid Suor told Sudan Media Centre, an outlet close to the powerful National Intelligence and Security Service.

Four days of intense battles last week between soldiers loyal to President Salva Kiir and former rebels backing Vice President Riek Machar left hundreds dead in Juba and prompted more than 40,000 to flee their homes.

The latest violence marks a fresh blow to last year’s deal for ending the conflict, which erupted when Kiir accused Machar of plotting a coup.

The fighting has largely been along ethnic lines, pitting Kiir’s Dinka against Machar’s Nuer, the country’s two largest groups.

The conflict has witnessed horrific atrocities between the two groups, including gang rapes, the wholesale burning of villages and even cannibalism.

Tens of thousands have been killed and more than two million driven from their homes.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed