New security scare jolts shell-shocked Dallas

July 10, 2016 10:39 am
Police took "precautionary" security measures across the city after receiving an anonymous threat against law enforcement/AFP
Police took “precautionary” security measures across the city after receiving an anonymous threat against law enforcement/AFP

, DALLAS, United States, Jul 10 — Dallas was gripped by a new security scare Saturday triggered by an anonymous threat in the Texas city, on edge days after a gunman fatally ambushed five police officers during a peaceful protest.

SWAT teams deployed around the Dallas Police Department headquarters while officers investigated reports of a suspicious person in a parking garage — finally giving the all-clear around two hours later.

Police took “precautionary” security measures across the city after receiving “an anonymous threat against law enforcement,” the Dallas police said in a statement.

The scare came as another night of marches against police brutality was underway in several US cities, a groundswell of protest that shows little sign of abating.

Protesters led by the Black Lives Matter movement are demanding justice for two African-Americans shot dead by police this week — their dying moments captured in viral video footage that stunned the nation.

At the Dallas protest late Thursday, a 25-year-old black army veteran named Micah Johnson used a rifle to shoot dead five police officers in a sniper attack. Seven other cops were wounded, as well as two civilians.

Johnson told negotiators before police killed him that he wanted to murder white cops in revenge for the black deaths.

Dallas officials believe he was the lone shooter in the incident.

Police across the country were on edge as it emerged that officers had been targeted in at least two incidents — in Tennessee and Wisconsin — by individuals apparently angered at the recent fatal shootings of black men by police.

– Angry marches continue –

Hundreds of people marched peacefully Saturday in New York for a third consecutive night, holding up banners bearing the names of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, the two men whose deaths, in Louisiana and Minnesota, triggered the latest protests.

In St. Paul, where Castile was killed, several hundred protesters blocked a highway intersection for about three hours and hurled rocks and bottles at police, who were equipped with helmets, clubs and gas masks.

The officers used smoke grenades, pepper spray and tear gas to break up the crowd, and around midnight arrested protesters who refused to move.

In San Francisco, a large force of police swooped in to prevent protesters, who marched for a second day, from blocking a major road intersection.

Hundreds also marched in Los Angeles, including in South Central, the epicenter of violent 1992 riots following the acquittal of white police officers in the videotaped beating of black motorist Rodney King.

There were nasty scenes late Friday in Phoenix, Arizona, where police used pepper spray to disperse stone-throwing protesters. And in Rochester, New York, 74 people were arrested over a sit-in protest.

But elsewhere — from Atlanta to Houston, Chicago, New Orleans, Boston, Detroit and Baltimore — weekend protests over the fatal shootings have passed off with little trouble.

Part 1 | Part 2

Latest Articles

Most Viewed