Kenya halts S.Sudan evacuations after calm returns to Juba

July 22, 2016 7:28 am
Shares
Government Spokesman Eric Kiraithe says the decision was made following proactive measures undertaken by the Government of South Sudan on ensuring that the peace is sustained/FILE
Government Spokesman Eric Kiraithe says the decision was made following proactive measures undertaken by the Government of South Sudan on ensuring that the peace is sustained/FILE

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 22 – The Kenyan Government has stopped the evacuation of Kenyans from South Sudan after calm returned in Juba.

Government Spokesman Eric Kiraithe says the decision was made following proactive measures undertaken by the Government of South Sudan in ensuring peace is sustained.

He however says in case violence erupts again, the Kenyan Government will resume the evacuations.

Overview
  • Government Spokesman Eric Kiraithe says the decision was made following proactive measures undertaken by the Government of South Sudan in ensuring peace is sustained.
  • He however says in case violence erupts again, the Kenyan Government will resume the evacuations.
  • "It is our hope that we will not need to evacuate people, but if situations change, we cannot tell whether it will change next week or tonight, plans are there to ensure that the lives of Kenyans are saved and are delivered back home so that they can pursue their entrepreneurial spirit elsewhere," he stated.

“It is our hope that we will not need to evacuate people, but if situations change, we cannot tell whether it will change next week or tonight, plans are there to ensure that the lives of Kenyans are saved and are delivered back home so that they can pursue their entrepreneurial spirit elsewhere,” he stated.

According to the Kenya Red Cross Society the government has so far evacuated more than 700 Kenyans.

“Whereas the government is very keen on coming to the aid of Kenyans, wherever they are in the world, it is incumbent upon individuals to ensure that they take precaution and set aside funds for contingencies because they understand the country they are dealing with,” he cautioned.

President Salva Kiir and former rebel leader, first Vice President Riek Machar, declared separate cease-fires which have held so far.

READ: Kiir speaks on turmoil, says Machar carried gun to palace

About 272 people were killed during the chaos, most of them soldiers.

Kenyans evacuated from South Sudan have narrated the tribulations they went through during the one week of fighting Juba.

Some said they lost most of their businesses which were looted or burnt but are lucky to be alive and back in the country.

“It was terrible. We lost all our investments to looters and people who burnt our houses,” one Kenyan said on arrival at the JKIA while carrying a polythene bag. “I was an investor in Juba and can’t believe I am back home with a paper bag.”

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed