Demolition of over 200 unsafe Nairobi buildings starts Tuesday

May 15, 2016 4:25 pm
Shares
Kidero had suspended demolition of buildings condemned by the National Construction Authority for a week to give tenants sufficient time to find houses elsewhere before they are brought down/FILE
Kidero had suspended demolition of buildings condemned by the National Construction Authority for a week to give tenants sufficient time to find houses elsewhere before they are brought down/FILE

, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 15 – The Nairobi County Government is set to begin the demolition of over 200 unsafe residential buildings in Nairobi on Tuesday, following the Huruma tragedy.

Lands County Executive Committee member Christopher Khaemba told Capital FM News that residential areas had the highest number of poorly constructed buildings.

Overview
  • Lands County Executive Committee member Christopher Khaemba told Capital FM News that residential areas had the highest number of poorly constructed buildings.
  • He stated that 58 buildings will be brought down in Huruma, 28 in Zimmerman and 19 houses in Hazina estate, South B that are owned by the National Social Security Fund (NSSF).
  • He further explained that other areas where buildings will be brought down include Umoja, Thika Road and Dagoretti.

He stated that 58 buildings will be brought down in Huruma, 28 in Zimmerman and 19 houses in Hazina estate, South B that are owned by the National Social Security Fund (NSSF).

“On Tuesday, we will begin the demolition of eight buildings next to the one which came down in Huruma. We already gave the residents there a seven days notice to vacate and find new homes,” he stated.

“We are sure that this will reduce the number of deaths as a result of unsafe buildings and ensure that our people are safe and sound,” he said.

He further explained that other areas where buildings will be brought down include Umoja, Thika Road and Dagoretti.

The seven-day grace period that was given by Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero for tenants in Huruma to vacate houses earmarked for demolition lapses on Tuesday, paving way for the demolitions to begin.

Khaemba said an elaborate plan on how the demolitions will be executed would be released during a Tuesday morning media briefing.

Kidero had suspended demolition of buildings condemned by the National Construction Authority for a week to give tenants sufficient time to find houses elsewhere before they are brought down.

Ministry of Housing, Public Works Department Director of Administration George McGoye last week said there would be no compromise on the buildings declared unfit for human occupation.

McGoye also said all buildings on riparian land including the one next to the T-Mall Shopping Centre along Langata Road and Ukay Centre that houses Nakumatt Ukay will be demolished.

Just recently, a building in Westlands housing the Nakumatt Ukay Supermarket suffered flooding and destruction of goods.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed