, NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 18 – Ten suspects allegedly involved in the National Youth Service Sh791 million money laundering scam failed to turn up in court Friday forcing the trial magistrate to issue fresh summons.
Senior Principal Magistrate Joyce Gandani said that the court was not satisfied with manner in which the suspects were served with summons.
She ordered they be served personally and that they present themselves in court on April 14 for plea taking.
Last week the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Keriako Tobiko told the court that he wanted the criminal case against the 10 suspects to proceed after the 11th suspect obtained an order blocking his case.
The office of the DPP has preferred 15 counts of money laundering charges against Josephine Kabura who recently filed an affidavit implicating former devolution CS Anne Waiguru in the scam, businessman Ben Gethi and eight others.
They were supposed to answer to the charges last Monday but they did not turn in court following the granting of the interim order in lawyer Patrick Ogolla’s favour.
Tobiko contended that the 10 suspects did not make an application seeking stay of proceedings and were irregularly ‘enjoying’ the interim order issued in Ogolla’s application.
Ogolla is charged alongside Martin Gachara Wanjohi and Charity Wangui Gethi for jointly transferring Sh77.6 million to an account at Faulu Kenya.
The charges facing Kabura, John Kago Ndungu, Patrick Ogolla Onyango and Ben Gethi state that they jointly engaged in an arrangement for the purchase of a motor vehicle at a cost of Sh23 million while knowing that the money was the proceeds of crime.
Kabura, Kago and Charity Wangui Gethi are further charged with buying a Jeep Cherokee at a cost of Sh6.3 million from the NYS kitty.