KCSE results for all candidates in 8 schools cancelled

March 3, 2016 5:58 pm
Shares
The 2015 KCSE exams had the highest ever recorded number of cheats who were found out at 5,101 candidates compared to 2,975 in 2014; a 70 percent increase/MIKE KARIUKI
The 2015 KCSE exams had the highest ever recorded number of cheats who were found out at 5,101 candidates compared to 2,975 in 2014; a 70 percent increase/MIKE KARIUKI

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 3 – A few hours after assuring that no school would be punished “wholesale” for candidates found to have cheated in the 2015 Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education exams, Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i revealed that there are eight schools which have no results to show after the results of all their candidates were cancelled.

The schools are: Nkumari Secondary School in Meru County, Propoi Girls and Parua Mixed Day and Boarding in West Pokot, Eisero Girls in Nandi, Kitengela Boys High School, Seka Mixed and Waondo Secondary School in Homa Bay and St Paul Omonayo in Nyamira.

Overview
  • The 2015 KCSE exams had the highest ever recorded number of cheats who were found out at 5,101 candidates compared to 2,975 in 2014; a 70 percent increase.
  • One hundred and seventy one persons have been arrested and charged in connection with the cheating; 34 of whom are teachers.

“But even in those cases, whether it is for example Kitengela Boys High School which had 76 candidates and all the 76 candidates were involved in irregularities, all those cases were reviewed individual by individual and each one of those 76 students of Kitengela Boys can turn up at the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) and they will be shown what happened to their results.”

The 2015 KCSE exams had the highest ever recorded number of cheats who were found out at 5,101 candidates compared to 2,975 in 2014; a 70 percent increase.

One hundred and seventy one persons have been arrested and charged in connection with the cheating; 34 of whom are teachers.

The highest form of cheating, KNEC CEO Joseph Kivilu said, was collusion. “Where you have candidates getting all the same things right and wrong.”

Investigations on what role KNEC officials may have played, Matiang’i said, was still under probe. “The President gave us (Matiang’i and Nkaissery) until March 30 to conclude investigations and make recommendations on how to remedy the situation.”

Matiang’i also defended the decision to push forward with the 2015 KCSE exams on schedule despite a month long teachers’ strike in September last year.

And he was categorical that the integrity of the exams remains intact given the honesty with which his Ministry and KNEC had approached the “unprecedented” level of cheating.

“We might have tried to cover it up but our decision to lay all our cards on our table is testament to just how seriously we take these exams.”

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed