Joho says won’t surrender gun as directed on phone

March 11, 2016 5:37 pm
83
shares
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
Pin to Pinterest
Share on StumbleUpon
+
What's This?
Joho says he legally acquired the gun and the government cannot repossess it without a valid reason, while insisting the move is politically motivated/FILE
Joho says he legally acquired the gun and the government cannot repossess it without a valid reason, while insisting the move is politically motivated/FILE

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 11 – Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho says he will not surrender his licensed firearm as directed by the Firearms Chief Licensing Officer Samuel Kimaru.

Joho says he legally acquired the gun and the government cannot repossess it without a valid reason, while insisting the move is politically motivated.

“I consider it particularly distasteful that it would be done through a telephone call. I would wish to state clearly, that I shall only consider responding to written communication and due process in the withdrawal of this firearm,” he lamented.

“We shall not be responding to telephone calls from unknown entities in the middle of the night.”

Governor Joho says he has not misused the firearm for the 20 years he has held it, since issuance by the government.

“As a citizen of this great nation of Kenya, we have the right to administrative action that is expeditious, efficient, lawful, reasonable and procedurally fair according to Article 47 (1) and (2) of the Constitution of this country,” he said.

“I consider the demand to withdraw my firearm unprocedural and done in extreme bad faith. ”

As a Governor, he said it was unreasonable to withdraw his security detail, and the attempts to repossess his firearm.

“Given the unique circumstances of my service to the people of Mombasa and Kenya at large, I would like to state that I consider it unreasonable to withdraw this security detail without a clear explanation of the same,” he said.

Governor Joho however links his latest problems to politics and specifically the recent concluded Malindi by-election where the ODM candidate emerged the winner.

“While it is not an entitlement, it is rational to expect similar treatment by the State to all people who hold the position of Governor elected by the people of Kenya,” he said.

Police headquarters has since denied claims by Joho of his security being withdrawn and clarified that it was only scaled down to five.

Police Spokesman Charles Owino said Joho was initially assigned 15 security officers and 10 were withdrawn in line with a new policy requiring all Governors to have a maximum of five.

“Previously the security situation in Mombasa warranted such a big number but it’s not there anymore,” Owino told Capital FM News.

“This is not happening to Joho alone. All the 47 Governors must have a considerable numbers so that we can allow our officers to serve other security duties.”

READ: Joho security not withdrawn, only scaled down – police

Part 1 | Part 2

Latest Articles

Most Viewed