, NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 7 – Four terror suspects arrested at the Busia border while headed to Libya to join ISIS will remain in custody for one month to facilitate investigations.
The 30-day period was granted to the police after they moved to the High Court in Mombasa where they filed the plea Monday morning, before Senior Principal Magistrate Diana Mochache.
According to Police Spokesman George Kinoti, the suspects with pending court cases planned to enter Libya through South Sudan, after one of them disclosed that they were going to Juba.
Those arrested include Kassim Ahmed Ali and Ali Omar Bwanaadi whose national identity cards were recovered in Majengo area of Mombasa during a raid in January.
Others are Muhammed Kassim Abdalla said to have been a trusted tuk tuk operator for the Sushi group and another terror suspect Mustafa Kheri Shali.
Police said the suspects were arrested from a Uganda-bound bus during inspection at Bumala police road block.
The investigating officer told the court that Kassim, Swaleh and Ahmed were facing terror related charges in a Lamu court where they had been granted bail.
The officer further informed the court that the suspects are believed to have undergone training in Somalia before crossing back to Kenya on unknown dates.
He also noted that the four are thought to be connected to other suspects who have already been charged.
He stated that the suspects are believed to be among the people who escaped a police dragnet at a house in Majengo area in Mombasa County in January.
During the raid at the residence, Acetone chemical, a component of explosive making material was recovered. One of the most wanted terror suspects stayed at the house.
Rifles and ammunition were also seized by the police in the early morning raid.
The suspects however opposed their continued detention as they claimed the police had already held them for seven days.
Swaleh, who says he is a form three student, was ordered to be detained at an undisclosed location until his age is verified.