Ruto elated at ICC ruling, confident will walk free

February 13, 2016 12:19 pm
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
Pin to Pinterest
Share on StumbleUpon
+

,

The Deputy President has urged Kenyans to continue praying for him/FILE
The Deputy President has urged Kenyans to continue praying for him/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 13 – Deputy President William Ruto has expressed confidence that he will emerge victorious following Friday’s decision by the International Criminal Court Appeals Chamber to reject the use of recanted evidence in the case against him and journalist Joshua arap Sang.

Ruto said “the truth is finally coming out” adding that he is confident he and Sang “will soon be vindicated.”

“We all saw what happened yesterday regarding the matter touching on me and Joshua Sang. I am happy about it and I ask you to continue praying for us. Finally the truth is coming out and we shall soon be free to join other Kenyans in building our nation,” Ruto said.

National Assembly Majority Leader Aden Duale equally applauded the decision saying “the Appeals Court had redeemed the credibility of ICC and respect of the Rome Statue.”

Senate Deputy Majority Leader Kipchumba Murkomen on his part said Kenyans were gratified that the Appeals Chamber has reaffirmed the true legal position on recanted evidence.

“This is a sign of things to come. We are confident that the ultimate victory is in the offing. This is good news. It is the law,” Murkomen said.

The House leaders expressed confidence that their case will collapse the same way President Uhuru Kenyatta’s did.

“We are more than confident that the case against Deputy President William Ruto and Joshua arap Sang has come to an end. It is now very clear. We are not expecting any other result than victory for the two in the no-case-to-answer,” added the Senate Deputy Majority Leader.

The Trial Chamber had allowed the prosecution to use the testimony of five witnesses which had been recanted.

But Ruto and Sang’s lawyers appealed, arguing the move would breach their rights to a fair and speedy trial.

The defence teams attributed their arguments to impoverished investigations anchored on recruitment of questionable witnesses who they allege were bribed and coached on how to fix the accused before The Hague based court.

READ: Two key rulings to make or break ICC ties with African states
In reversing the decision to use the testimony, the ICC Appeals Court judges unanimously agreed that the Trial Chamber had disadvantaged the accused by allowing the prosecution to use prior recorded statements of the five witnesses as the accused were denied their right to cross-examine them.

The government has spearheaded a proposal for African countries to pull out of the court, which it accuses of unfairly targeting the continent for prosecution.

Uganda and Namibia were other countries that wanted to be enjoined in the appeal.

READ: AU adopts President Uhuru’s proposal for ICC mass withdrawal

Of the 123 member states, 34 African states – almost one third of the Rome Statute – have signed and ratified the Rome Statute of the ICC.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
Pin to Pinterest
Share on StumbleUpon
+

Latest Articles

Most Viewed