Kabura unwell, seeks more time for EACC affidavit date

February 18, 2016 12:07 pm
Shares

,

Kabura had been summoned by the anti-graft body for questioning on Thursday after she made fresh claims involving former CS Anne Waiguru over the Sh791 million scam/FILE
Kabura had been summoned by the anti-graft body for questioning on Thursday after she made fresh claims involving former CS Anne Waiguru over the Sh791 million scam/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 18 – National Youth Service (NYS) scandal suspect Josephine Kabura now says she is unable to appear before the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission due to ill-health.

Kabura had been summoned by the anti-graft body for questioning on Thursday, after she made fresh claims involving former CS Anne Waiguru over the Sh791 million scam.

Kabura has sworn an affidavit claiming that Waiguru was the mastermind of the NYS scandal.

The EACC had earlier closed the NYS file and cleared Waiguru of any wrongdoing in the multi-million shilling scandal but has re-opened the probe against her after Kabura’s affidavit.

“Kabura has been reported sick. The meeting has rescheduled to Tuesday at 10am,” EACC Head of Corporate Communications Kairichi Mirimba told Capital FM News.

Kabura who says her companies – Form Home Builders, Roof and All Trading and Reinforced Concrete Technologies – received the Sh791 million as payment for the supply of road construction materials for the Kibera and Mukuru slums, says Waiguru engaged her and even oversaw registration of the companies.

She claims to have met Waiguru when she worked at the Ministry of Finance, specifically in the IFMIS directorate. It was then, she says, that she started carrying out “small jobs” for Waiguru which eventually culminated in her appointment as the “sole merchant assigned to deliver all (NYS) road materials.”

It was in this role that Kabura claims to have met Adan Harakhe whom she says expedited payments to her companies in his role as (Authority to Incur Expenditure) AIE holder.

“Harakhe was appointed AIE holder in February 2015, though he had started acting as AIE much earlier.”

Kabura claims to have paid an associate of Harakhe Sh20 million and consultant Mutahi Ngunyi who assisted her secure the NYS tenders, Sh1.5 million.

All of which, she says, were payments sanctioned by Waiguru.

The gravy train got derailed, she says, when Harakhe – without Waiguru’s authorisation – sought a further Sh3.5 billion from the Treasury “to enable him issue additional LPOs for Sh2 billion for construction materials.”

“Harakhe talked of plans to issue new road contracts but pointed out that CS Waiguru and Hassan Noor had issued out food and small equipment under restricted tendering and high prices alongside authorising expensive consultancies, a situation that led to money running out,” Kabura states in her affidavit.

She added that Harakhe had already began processing Sh695 million when his request for more funds sounded alarms at the Treasury.

Police have since opened an investigation into the conduct of CID officers mentioned in the affidavit containing allegations against former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru.

Some of the officers, including the Banking Fraud Investigations Department Chief Joseph Mugwanja and other detectives who handled the Sh791 million NYS probe have recorded statements.

A senior officer at police headquarters said the investigation will focus on their mandate and how they conducted the probe following claims in the affidavit that they were complicit in the scandal.

Kabura will be required to shed light on the role of all individuals mentioned in her affidavit in the scandal.

All the people mentioned in the affidavit, including Waiguru are set to appear before the commission.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed