, NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 8 – The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission has cleared former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru of any complicity in the Sh791 million National Youth Service scandal.
In a letter dated February 4, the commission’s Chief Executive Officer Halakhe Waqo said that following investigations, no evidence has been discovered to “warrant an adverse recommendation against the former Cabinet Secretary Ms Anne Mumbi Waiguru.”
The letter was addressed to the Chief of Staff and Head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua.
There were doubts on the authenticity of the letter on social media and Capital FM sought clarity from the EACC.
“The status letter on Ms Waguru to the Head of Public Service is genuine and we have written similar letters on other senior officers. For junior to middle level, we write to their institutions. However, if new evidence becomes available, investigations will continue,” the head of corporate communications Kairichi Marimba said.
Waiguru stepped down as Devolution Ministry CS last year citing health issues as the reason behind her decision.
Her resignation followed months of sustained pressure over corruption allegations in the ministry.
She had blamed her woes on a frenzied and organised attack on her character.
She also cited her input in steering the devolution process, adding that with her team, they managed to ensure a smooth transfer of functions and resources to counties.
Recently, she stated that she was considering running for the Nairobi gubernatorial seat in the 2017 General Election.
This follows her endorsement by a cross-section of leaders in Nairobi, including Evans Ondieki who was sacked as the Nairobi County Environment Executive.
Waiguru on her part stated that she will hold consultations at grassroots levels where she will consider the proposal before making up her mind on the issue.