Coastal region registers drop in drug trafficking – Nkaissery

February 4, 2016 3:57 pm
Shares

,

Nkaissery says the war on the menace and other security challenges will continue being enhanced in all affected areas despite the gains made so far/FILE
Nkaissery says the war on the menace and other security challenges will continue being enhanced in all affected areas despite the gains made so far/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 4 – Drug trafficking in the coastal region has drastically reduced, according to Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery.

The gains were made over the last one year, and the CS attributes this to intensive efforts by the coastal security team which carried out several raids on suspected drug traffickers.

Nkaissery says the war on the menace and other security challenges will continue being enhanced in all affected areas despite the gains made so far.

“We in the last one year managed to reduce the menace of drug trafficking…the coastal team has done a remarkable job,” he said.

The gains on fighting drug trafficking has particularly been significant in Kwale, Kilifi and Lamu.

“We are headed in the right direction. Arising from that, the tourism sector has tremendously improved,” he said.

The CS was speaking on Thursday morning when he presided over a security meeting at the Kenya School of Government, where all senior security chiefs and ministry officials had convened.

He said the war on terror had also been heightened in the Northeastern part of the county.

Nkaissery challenged all security agencies to work together and use available resources to secure the country while warning that those who will not work harmoniously will be dismissed.

“We must work together for the benefit of security of this nation. You are the people who must provide this information,” he challenged the security officers.

“We are the main pillar when it comes to security of citizens; the National Administration and the National Police Service. This is why we must bring leadership back.”

He also said that the war on illicit brews will be revitalized.

“We have managed to deal with that but we have several challenges arising from court cases and orders but that will not stop us. Though we are law abiding citizens, we must continue fighting the menace,” he said.

The ministry has already engaged political leaders in areas affected by the menace and they are all in full support of the government.

Last year, the minister interdicted a number of administrators mostly chiefs across all parts of the country, for allegedly colluding with traders of illicit brews.

He termed the decision as ’emotional’ saying the government has issued an amnesty to those who had sought a review of the decision.

The review was however based on the recommendations by County Commissioners after a thorough vetting of their activities.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed