New NYS boss gave up land after query – State House

January 22, 2016 6:00 am
Shares

,

Esipisu says that while it's true that the former Permanent Secretary was included in the report as among those allocated land illegally, he surrendered the Sh9 million property in South C to anti-corruption authorities back in 2006/PSCU
Esipisu says that while it’s true that the former Permanent Secretary was included in the report as among those allocated land illegally, he surrendered the Sh9 million property in South C to anti-corruption authorities back in 2006/PSCU
NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 22 – State House has come out in defence of NYS Director General Richard Ndubai whose integrity has been called into question over his inclusion in the Ndung’u land report.

State House Spokesperson Manoah Esipisu says that while it’s true that the former Permanent Secretary was included in the report as among those allocated land illegally, he surrendered the Sh9 million property in South C to anti-corruption authorities back in 2006.

“To protect his name, Ndubai surrendered the piece of land when asked to do so by the then Kenya Anti-Corruption Commission,” Esipisu said in his defence.

He said President Uhuru Kenyatta was therefore “undeterred” in his selection of Ndubai to head the NYS which has been plagued by corruption scandals.

“Ndubai’s first task is to clean NYS up, rid it of corrupt elements and rogue deal-makers, and ensure that it delivers to the expectations of the young people of Kenya,” Esipisu said in a press briefing at State House Mombasa on Thursday where Ndubai was sworn into office two days earlier.

READ: Former PS sworn-in as new NYS Director-General

During his swearing in, President Kenyatta lauded Ndubai’s public service record saying it was one to be emulated.

He expressed confidence in his ability to, “eliminate all those who have been part of the problem, as opposed to joining us to be part of the solution to this Republic.”

Former NYS Director General Nelson Githinji stepped aside in November after he was implicated in a plot to steal Sh695 million from the institution.

READ: Mangiti, Githinji charged but to challenge case

On his watch, Sh791 million was stolen through fraudulent IFMIS transactions.

READ: NYS chief Githinji questioned by EACC over Sh791m theft

The corruption scandals set back the gains that had been made through a re-launched NYS and that engaged the youth in the slums to clean up their surroundings and form economic empowerment groups.

READ: You ain’t seen nothing yet, Uhuru tells Kibera residents

Despite the setback, President Kenyatta expressed a renewed commitment to re-engage the youth. “I must note, with a lot of regret, that even after we re-launched the NYS with great passion and with a lot of expectation from our young people, the Service has fallen short of what was required of it,” he said during Ndubai’s swearing-in.

“So today, as we swear you in as the new Director General, I want to clearly state my own personal commitment to this particular agenda. I want to tell you that I wish to restart the NYS programmes within the next two months.”

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed