, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 4- The National Authority for the Campaign against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (NACADA) now says it will cancel the licence of a Nakuru bar, where eight teens drank alcohol before the fatal car crash that occurred in Salgaa on New Year’s Eve.
The authority’s Chairman John Mututho says all those responsible for selling alcohol to the teens will be made to account for their acts.
“Those selling alcohol to children will not be receiving any licence,” he warned saying the fines will also be severe.
The New Year’s Eve accident occurred when a vehicle ferrying the teen’s crashed head-on with a bus as they reportedly hopped from party-to-party with the 17-year-old driver having no licence. Five of them perished.
Mututho was speaking earlier on Monday when he met truck drivers at the Salgaa black spot where three other people were killed on Sunday after a Mombasa-bound bus rammed onto a parked saloon car.
“I have requested a number of legislators once they resume Parliament to make changes that will ensure such people are jailed for 35 years,” he warned.
Among the measures he wants put in place include restricting consumption of alcohol to persons above the age of 21 years.
This will be among other stringent measures he intends to propose to curb the menace of alcohol abuse more so among the young people.
He also visited Salgaa traffic base commander for a fact finding mission on accidents statistics where he noted that although the number of accidents due to drink-driving had reduced, there were several cases of selling alcohol to underage persons.