EACC boss defends commission’s progress

December 7, 2015 12:32 pm
Shares

,

The anti-graft body has come under sharp criticism for failing to acquire enough evidence on various cases, for strong and successful legal action to be taken/FILE
The anti-graft body has come under sharp criticism for failing to acquire enough evidence on various cases, for strong and successful legal action to be taken/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 7- The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission Chief Executive Officer Halakhe Waqo has defended the commission’s score card in the war against corruption, while citing some of the achievements for the last six months.

The anti-graft body has come under sharp criticism for failing to acquire enough evidence on various cases, for strong and successful legal action to be taken.

Waqo said this year alone, 334 people have been taken to court over corruption related charges as many more continue to be probed.

“When you recall in March, the list the President tabled in Parliament forms part of what we have been very actively pursuing most of this year,” he stated.

“We have 334 people in court…this is far much higher than five years ago cumulatively.”

Waqo was speaking during an interview on Citizen TV where he revealed that the Judiciary was working with the commission to ensure corruption cases are expeditiously dealt with.

“Only two weeks ago we had the Chief Justice declaring a number of very positive progresses on the side of Judiciary fighting corruption,” he said.

“According to the law, the corruption cases are supposed to be heard and determined on daily basis and this has not been in place but there is a commitment that cases will be heard on day to day basis.”

Among the major corruption scandals the commission is probing includes the NYS saga and the alleged Eurobond scandal.

On December 1, EACC officers, armed with a court order authorizing them to search former CS Ann Waiguru’s home carted away personal documents that included her previous employer documents, bank statements among others.

The simultaneous court-sanctioned searches were also conducted at the homes of former Planning Principal Secretary Peter Mangiti, former NYS Director General Nelson Githinji among others.

About the alleged Eurobond scandal, EACC on December 4 summoned top Treasury chiefs to shed light on how the Sh289 billion Eurobond was spent.

They include Treasury CS Henry Rotich as well as Principal Secretary Kamau Thugge who head the ministry that was responsible for floating the Eurobond.

“The response by the officers so far invited has been positive and the commission expects that the local aspects on the investigations will speedily be concluded,” Waqo said.

The commission has also urged anyone with information on the alleged Eurobond scandal to volunteer, so as to aid the ongoing investigations prompted by claims by CORD leader Raila Odinga and other opposition leaders that the money may have been misappropriated.

Part 1 | Part 2
Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed